Monday, April 5, 2010

Was I Surprised!


In addition to this past weekend being Easter, Saturday (3rd) was my 55th birthday. We had a 3 day weekend (Fri,Sat,Sun), so DKW and I went to the coast (Mobile, AL) to visit my youngest son and take the deer head (that the taxidermist had finished for him) to him. Well, the unit (Gulf Strike Team) that my son is stationed at is one that I was a "Plank Owner" of. (Plank Owner means that I was one of the original founding members of the unit). Anyway, DKW & I were at the unit Award's ceremony (for what I assumed was my son getting an award) and I suspected nothing when my son was called forward. Well, I could have been blown over when I was then called forward and my son presented me with a beautiful shadow box (that he & some unit buddies had built) containing a plaque with all the units in my career, Coast Guard & U.S. flag, rank badges for all my ranks, and all my ribbons I was awarded. It is beautiful (and as soon as I get some pics taken, I'll post them here. I was also given a unit cap with "Plank Owner" sewn in the rear, making it a "one-of-a-kind" hat and a unit t-shirt. Afterwards, there was a reception with food and cake. It was a fantastic day. I couldn't help getting a little teary-eyed as it was happening. Chris, Jenn, DKW & I went to Wintzell's Oyster House that evening and had oysters and seafood. Then we went back to their house, had a fire in the backyard, talked and ended what was a fantastic day (at least for me). On Saturday, we went to Bellingrath Gardens and walked around. Not everything was in bloom at this time of year, but you could imagine how pretty it is when it is. To finish the evening, we grilled steaks, had baked potatoes, and onions sauteed with mushrooms & shrimp. It was, all-in-all, a great weekend and one of my best birthdays ever. But as ever, it was always nice to get back home.


I will post pictures some time this week. Everyone have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. yea!! i love ya so very much and am so glad to have been present for this past weekend, it was amazing! grins, debra

    ReplyDelete