Monday, August 9, 2010

My Animated Life


Okay! Yesterday as I lay back in my hospital bed (which I hope to get out of soon) at home and surfed the channels, I landed on the Boomerang/Cartoon Network (DirecTv channel 298) watching one of my perennial favorites, "The Flintstones." I go to thinking about how cartoons have been involved in my life. Since I was born in 1955, my earliest cartoon memories are of shows like "The Flintstones", "The Jetsons", "Rocky & Bullwinkle","Secret Squirrel", "Underdog", "Wacky Races", "George of the Jungle", and "Space Ghost". In the 70s (my teen & early adult years), my viewing dropped a bit, but I still watched things like "Scooby Doo", "SuperFriends", "The Groovie Goolies", "Captain Caveman", and "Thundarr and the Barbarians". Then, in the 80's (as my children were young) I was once more immersed the the cartoon world. Shows like "He-Man", "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles", "Transformers", "ThunderCats", "Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors", and one which remains a favorite to this day (and is a UK import) is "Danger Mouse". Then in the 90s I retired from the U.S. Coast Guard and life interfered with my cartoon watching, but I did have a few favorites such as "Ren & Stimpy", Pinky & The Brain", "King of the Hill", and "Futurama". The funny thing is, is that now that the first decade of the new century is coming to an end, I don't watch many new cartoons, preferring those of the last 50 years. (And believe me, I looked.)
Everyone have a great day!

1 comment: