Saturday, November 28, 2015

My (Belated) Thanks

Thursday past was Thanksgiving and DKW & I had a dozen plus family and friends over for the turkeys (we had two) and fixings. It was a busy day and in addition to cooking I, like most American males, was interested in football.  So until today I didn't take take to reflect a bit and give thanks.
Now I am thankful for football.  Its my favorite sport and I tend to watch to excess.  Frequent readers know my Starkville High Yellowjackets won Friday and will be playing for the Mississippi 6A state championship on December 4th.  It is half-time of the Egg Bowl, and (so far) MSU is getting their hat handed to them by Ole Miss (28-3).  Sigghhhh!
But football aside, first and foremost I am thankful for family.  My mother is in a nursing home and with a diagnosis of early onset alzheimer is not doing well.  Moments of lucidity come and go in an instant.  It hurts when I visit, so I prefer to remember her when she was at her best.  I am so very thankful for what she has contributed to my life.  I'm thankful for my children.  We have not always agreed (what parents and kids do) but the love has always been there.  And because of them I'm thankful for my grandchildren (8 and counting). I'm thankful for my wives.  Now - I'm not a polygamist. :-)  My 1st wife and I were married 29+ years and have 5 children.  Sue passed away almost 10 years ago (12/3/2005) and I'm so very thankful for what she contributed to my life.  I met DKW in December 2008 and we we married in October 2009. I'm thankful for her bringing joy into my life again and having the Autumn of my life blossom again with with hope.  I am thankful for so many friends and acquaintances I can't remember or list them all.  But if you know me, you know who you are and you will forever (thankfully) have been a part of the life that made me - me.  Lastly, I want to single out Sharon Bauman, Debra's mom.  Sharon passed away on December 5th, 2014 - just a week from now. Sharon lived next door to us for the last 3 years of her life. She was a no-nonsense, speak-your-mind individual who did not suffer fools lightly and I came to love her.  This year has been hard on DKW and the most I could do was offer a kiss, hug, and a soft "I know, I know." as tears were shed.  She and Sharon were extremely close.  Thanks Sharon. 
Everyone should reflect, give thanks, and hug those you can, while you can.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment