Saturday, November 14, 2015

Friday the 13th and High School Football

Last night the Mississippi 6A playoffs began.  My Starkville High Yellowjackets hosting the Olive Branch Conquistadors.  SHS pretty much dominated the game though OB did score a few TDs in the 2nd half (on our subs) to make the final 46-24.  So SHS moves on the the second round and will play Clinton (for the 2nd time in 3 weeks), who they beat 2 weeks ago 45-7.  Don't let that score fool you though.  They are a much better team than that and their coach rested a lot of starters in that game so that they would be healthy going into the playoffs (link provided).  I think SHS will prevail, but I would be lying if I said they didn't worry me.
The big news of the night was that Number 1 ranked and undefeated (since 2013) South Panola, was upset at home by Region 2, #4 seed Madison Central 14-8!  WOW!!!  Let me repeat that! WOWWWWW!!!  Region 2 (in which MC and SHS reside) swept all 4 playoff games against Region 1.  Friday the 13th was really unlucky for Region 1!  When the MaxPreps Rankings are updates tomorrow SHS should be the new #1 in the state of Mississippi.  I hope this is the year we bring home another state title.  Even if we do have to go to Oxford to get it!
MSU plays a heavily favored Alabama Crimson Tide today.  I will be watching and keeping my fingers crossed.  According to USA Today if Dak gets protection from his O line and doesn't make any critical mistakes, they could pull the upset at home.  The odds are long, but as they say, hope springs eternal and miracles do happen (just ask Madison Central).
Eveyone have a great day!  (and GOOO DAWGS!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment