Friday, June 17, 2011

Father's Day


Well, as this coming Sunday (June 19th) is Father's Day - I've been taking a little time to reflect. I had two (male) people that had a huge impact on making me the person I am today. One was obviously my father and the other was my mother's father (who everyone in the family called "Big Daddy" - pic is of Big Daddy on his 97th birthday with Mama Jenny & a group from MSU.). My Dad's father passed away just a couple of months after I was born (due to lung cancer) so I never really knew him. My father passed away in 1991 (also due to lung cancer) and Big Daddy passed away in 2003 at age 97. As the oldest male in my family now (without being morbid) I often think of those who have gone before. I really miss both of them but sometimes I can almost hear or feel them around. I've read that as long as memories of someone survive - that person is alive. And I like to think (as I move through various aspects of my life) that they are there with me.
My children are all adults now with lives of their own and I hope that they too will keep my dad and Big Daddy alive in their memories. I, myself, hope to be around long enough to be a nuisance to them for many, many years. :-)
Everyone have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. i love hearing your recollections of big daddy and mama jenny. i would have liked to have met them, they sound like such wonderful people. you are a good man, a very very good man, and i think a part of that comes from big daddy being the man that he was. i love you so! debra

    ReplyDelete