Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Don't Panic!

One of the things DKW and I share is a great love of reading, and we often read to each other. Since a new book ("And Another Thing") in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy saga has been released, we decided to go back to the beginning and read the entire series again. Since I have read the entire series a couple of times, it is a fun trip (again). And yes, I know where my towel is.

Now, a book that I have just started reading is "Bone Rattler: A Mystery of Colonial America" by Eliot Pattison. I have read all of his books (to date) in his Inspector Shan series ("The Skull Mantra" being the 1st) which takes place in communist China. His attention to detail and intricate plot twists make him an imminently readable author. I am very much looking forward to getting into this book. I'll let you know what I think once I finish it. I hope I'm not disappointed.

Talk about disappointed - My Mississippi State Bulldogs lost by 1 point in overtime to the UK Wildcats, and despite having 23 wins were left out of the NCAA Tournament. That being the bad news, the good news is that they are a Number 1 seed in the NIT and beginning tonight (against Jackson State) will play at home for 3 games (if they keep winning). A fourth game would be in the NIT Final Four at Madison Square Garden! All I can say is "Maroon! White! Fight! Fight! Fight! GO BULLDOGS!"
Last night DKW and I watched "Boom Town". A 1940 movie starring Clark Gable, Spencer Tracy, Claudette Colbert and Hedy Lamar. It was pretty good, but after it was over DKW said she didn't like Clark Gable too much as an actor because he pretty much played the same character in each of his movies. I kind of shrugged and said "Yeah, Okay, I can see that" or something to that effect. Then she said "Just like John Wayne - he wasn't a great actor". And DKW did a good job of explaining her position - and I can see her point better now. But last night, I have to confess, that I had pretty much gotten my nose bent out of shape to the point - that rather than argue (which I don't like to do) I left the room and laid down to read until I had gotten my hurt feelings under control. Let me explain, John Wayne was one of my (late) father's favorite actors and having grown up watching him, he was (and is ) still one of my all-time favorites. In my mind I know he may not be a great actor, that every role he plays, whether a western, a war movie, or as a cop - he is still playing himself. I know that! But in my HEART, he's JOHN FREAKING WAYNE - THE DUKE - and he plays the best John Wayne there ever was. So I know I am being unreasonable and illogical - but I still think John Wayne is a great actor. There - I'm finished venting. (And DKW - I still Love you very much!) Differences of opinion are what make the world go round. If everyone was the same it would be a very dull world.

Ohh! And on the "Proud Papa" front, my oldest son won "the" major award given out at the Mississippi State University Student art show for his 3-D work. Way to go son!

Anyway - Everyone have a great day!

1 comment: