Friday, January 1, 2016

Sixty Year Snapshot

Today is the 60th anniversary of my very first New Year's Day.  So I thought I would try a little retrospective in 10 year bites.  Now, obviously, I don't remember a lot about 1/1/1956 (as I was 8 months old at the time) - but this morning I did watch (as my first movie of 2016), the 1956 sci fi classic "Earth Vs the Flying Saucers". 
1/1/1966 - I was 10 and in 5th grade.  I was heavy into comic books and cub scouts (though later this year I would move up to Boy Scouts (Troop 27 - Starkville, MS).  At this time comics were 12 cents each and most of any money I earned was spent on them. I lived on McKee Street with my parents and younger sister (born in 1957).
1/1/1976 - I was in my 4th year in the U.S. Guard and in the process of getting ready to reenlist for 6 years in order to maximize the reenlistment bonus I was qualified for.  I was stationed in Memphis and would marry for the first time later that year. (Though I didn't know it at the time.)
1/1/1986 - I was stationed on the USCG Gulf Strike Team (in Mobile, AL).  I was married to Sue and we had four children. (Ages 7, 6, 4, & 2 at this date).
1/1/1996 - I was working for Quincy's Family Steakhouse & Buffet in Starkville.  I retired from the Coast Guard in 1992 and had a 5th child that was born in 1988.  She would be the last of our children. We were living in a large home (Double wide with large addition added home) with seven bedrooms.
1/1/2006 - Sue passed away 4 weeks ago and I was devastated.  We were married over 29 years and at this time none of the children lived at home.  At the time I had 3 grandchildren.  It was dark time for me.
1/1/2016 - I still live in the large home, but now share it with DKW who I met in late 2008 (almost exactly 3 years after Sue died).  We celebrated our 6th anniversary last year and she was the big reason I came out of the dark place.  I retired from MSU last year (2nd retirement) and a month ago started a part-time job at a local medical facility. I have 8 grandchildren now - the youngest being 5 months old and the oldest 16 years old.
Now I've left a lot out that happened over the past 60 years.  Otherwise I would be writing for days - but, like most folks, there have been many highs and some lows - but all-in-all I've had - and have - a good life.  Count your blessings.  In the past month, I've lost my mother and Aunt (who passed yesterday of a sudden coronary).  You never know when it might be your time.  I'll do an entry like this again in 2066! :-)
Everyone have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Father's Day is celebrated for a special person of the family - father. All the sun and daughter are express love feeling with their dad and make a day extremely special. If you want to celebrate this Father Day with your father, then you need to some Beautiful Fathers Day Images, Fathers day Wallpapers, and Fathers Day GIF. Here we collect best Fathers Day Quotes Images for you. fathers day wishes from son Father's Day is celebrated in all over the world on the different days.

    ReplyDelete