Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Sing Sing Sing!




This time of year I listen to a lot of Christmas music and watch Christmas programs on TV. As with most folks, some I prefer more than others. So I thought I'd share some. Some of my favorite holiday songs (in no particular order) are "My Favorite Things", "Carol of the Bells", "Silver Bells", "White Christmas" and lots more.



A lot of the stuff I prefer to watch are considered classics, like "Frosty the Snowman" (1969 version w/Jimmy Durante), "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" (1966 version w/ the great Boris Karloff), "Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer" (1964 version w/Burl Ives) "Claymation Christmas Special" (1987). And the great movies like "A Christmas Carol" (1938 version), "It's A Wonderful Life" (1946 w/Jimmy Stewart), "Miracle on 34th Street" (1947 version w/Maureen O'Hara & Natalie Wood), "Holiday Inn" (1942 w/Bing Crosby & Fred Astaire - famous because its the very first time the song "White Christmas" was heard in public). I know I'm leaving some stuff I like off my list, but there is tons of stuff and I have time to share more later, but I just thought I would put these out there so you can keep an eye out for them.



Now before I sign off today I want to share one more movie. I've separated it from the others because it is considered one of the all time bad movies - but I'm a little warped anyway and like to watch it every other year or so - so here goes. "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" (1964) is so bad its classic, because it actually takes itself seriously. I can actually remember going to the old Rex Theater (which was at the Corner of Main & Washington Streets in Starkville, MS - the building is still there but the Rex is long gone) and seeing this movie in 1964. Boy, was it expensive - 25 cents admission, 10 cents for a coke & 15 cents for popcorn - 50 WHOLE CENTS! And that was for the matinee. (Chuckle - chuckle). If you could look to your immediate right in the photo with this entry you would be standing in front of the Rex Theater.



Anyway - I'll try and share more Christmas stuff before MSU breaks for the holidays at the end of next week.



Everyone have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. i love you baby and i love when you share your memories!

    ReplyDelete