Friday, December 17, 2010

Christmas Greetings


Well - today is the last day that I work this year. I won't be back to work until January 3rd, 2011. This year has passed fast. I know folks say that a lot - but it does seen that the older you get - the faster it goes. Maybe that's why people say you're over the hill. You tend to pick up speed on the downslope. :-)
This picture is from a 1963 Western Auto newspaper ad. I've attached it because I'm going to share a Christmas memory from that year. My parents, sister and I were living at 410 McKee Street in a small house (around 1200 sq. ft at the time). My father (that year) had just finished adding on a small bedroom (6' X 16') at the back of the house. Yes it was narrow but long, and since it was off the laundry room actually (at the time) made the house square. You may be wondering why I keep saying "at the time". Well my dad worked most of his life as a carpenter/roofer and by the time my mother moved (after my dad's passing) there was over 4000 sq feet of living space. But at the time of this memory it was small. I was 8 years old and had been bugging my folks for a bicycle. I remember waking up at 4 AM. I know this because the clock in the living room was lit up by the Christmas tree. I very nearly yelled when I saw the brand new "Western Flyer" bike with my name on it. I was so excited. I couldn't wait. I (in my pajamas) took the bike outside and by the light of streetlights commenced rididing up and down the street. I was still there 3 hours later when my dad came out yelling "Boy, what the h*ll do you think you are doing? Do you want to get sick? Its cold out here. How long have you been out here?" He was trying to be all stern but there was no disguising the smile he had. Later everyone got a chuckle when they were told about my Christmas ride. I don't know that I every answered my dad about how long I had been out. Anyway - one of my fond Christmas memories. I got to thinking about it because this year I will be giving my oldest granddaughter a bike for Christmas. So - shhhh! Its a secret! Heh!
Everyone have a great day and a great holiday season. Be back for what I hope is a fantastic 2011 for everyone. CHEERS!

1 comment:

  1. awwww, i love this story; every time you tell it, i picture lil jerry in his pjs, peddling about. i love the lil guy, cuz he's YOU.

    ReplyDelete