Tuesday, September 15, 2015

I Don't Wanna Grow Up............

Okay, it was a little chilly when I got up this morning (55 degrees) and after I slipped my jacket on and got comfy in my recliner (coffee- check, book - check, throw blanket - check) I chuckled.    I was buttoning my Superman jacket over my long-sleeved Batman tee, wearing my Ninja Turtle sleep pants over ( and this might be TMI for some) my Flash boxer-briefs.  What can I say?   And  the throw blanket over my legs - Doctor Who!  In some respects I think I will always be a paradox - an old kid! 
I still enjoy reading comics, watching (some) cartoons, and cheesy Sci-Fi! 
But what inspired this post originally was my thinking about something that shaped my childhood/early adulthood that is no longer around.   That is (drum roll please) Saturday Morning Cartoons!  Now you can watch cartoons at any time of the day or night - and I do sometimes.  But nothing can bring back the anticipation I used to have for the Saturday in September in which the new Saturday Morning Cartoon Block would be unveiled.  Now, thanks to magazines and newspapers, I would already know what shows would appear and in what order.  So I planned my viewing accordingly.  Deciding which shows I did not want to miss.  No tivo, No VCR back in those days.  (After all I'm 60  - and almost a half). :-)  Man those were the days.
Don't get me wrong.  I wanted to grow up, have a family, but as Joni Mitchell so aptly sang "You don't know what you got - til its gone!" 
Ya know - there are so many cartoon channels now, I would love to see one start running the Saturday Morning lineup (on Saturday mornings) again from the 60's and/or 70's.  That would be cool.  But I'd have to have my coffee.  Milk just doesn't do it for me in the morning any more.
Everyone have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment