Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Smoke and Lighting, Heavy Metal Thunder


Ok, If you are any type of music afficianado you recognize my title for today as being from "Born to Be Wild" by Steppenwolf. I was thinking of days of yore with most (vinyl) albums had ten or twelve tracks - or if you were really fortunate 14. That being said - if you had to come up with your ultimate compilation disc - the (and I will be kind) 14 songs that either speak to you and/or have significance to you. Think about it and here I will give you mine - a very eclectic mix is mine: (1) Born to Be Wild - Steppenwolf (2)Afternoon Delight - Starland Vocal Band (3) Gimme Dat Ding - The Pipkins (4)Joy to the World - Doobie Brothers (5)Burning Love - Elvis (6)Over the Rainbow/What a Wonderful World (Medley) - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (7)Rock and Roll All Nite-Kiss (8)Starkville City Jail-Johnny Cash (9)We Will Rock You/We are the Champions - Queen (10)Last Train to Clarksville- Monkees (11)Pagan Baby - Creedence Clearwater Revival (12)Schools Out - Alice Cooper (13)Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple (14) La Grange - ZZ Top. I gave this a lot of thought and removed some songs and added others , but if I had a gun pointed to my head - this would be my list. My only restrictions were: No more than 14 tracks and one song per artists represented. Obviously I've left off a ton of great music , but each song represented means somethign to me. Like #9 - Listened to it a lot with my Dad - he wore out two 8-tracks with that song & had it on vinyl. #11 off CCR's "Pendulum" album - my friend Larry & I wore out an 8-track of our own listening to that in my '66 Chevy Impala SS before & after school. #3 - my kids would probably tell you that if they had to choose a song for me - this would be it - I'm sure they heard it enough in their younger years to get sick of it. (Tough!) I'm not going to list my reasons for each, but I am going to for one last one - #6 - first dance at my wedding w/DKW - but I loved this medley since I first heard it on the (very) short-lived TV series "New Amsterdam" (8 episodes aired Mar/Apr 2008).

Some of the artists on the list I could make compilations of just their songs (i.e. Kiss, CCR, Alice Cooper, ZZ Top, etc.) but I kept to my own rules. Think of your own.

Everyone have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. wahoo, i am familiar with all but one or two of those songs, right on, baby, right on! love ya, debra

    ReplyDelete