Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Smell of Pigskin is filtering in!

Hard to believe it (but I am SOOOOOOO glad) that full sized, full contact Amur'can football is right around the corner.  I mean, Canadian Football (game tonight) and Arena football are only a stopgap measure and serve to sharpen the appetite even more.
July 29th (in 4 days) season tickets for Starkville High go on sale.  I will be getting mine.  I've had the same seats since the current facility opened in 2000, and before that had season tickets in the old stadium from the time I retired from the U.S. Coast Guard (Semper Paratus!) in 1992.  SHS won last seasons Mississippi 5A State Championship, but won't be able to defend because this year they move back to 6A.  Mississippi evaluates and assigns schools (every 2 years) to 1A thru 6A based on student population at the school.  This helps keep competition close and the playing field fairly level.
Also on the 29th, the movie "Mississippi Gridiron Gold" will be making its 2 night world premiere across the state.  I'm sure that in the not-too-distant future, a DVD will be available.
Then, on August 4th (only 10 days from now) the NFL will kick off its pre-season with the Hall of Fame Game from Canton, Ohio.  The first HoF game was in 1963, so this year marks the 50th anniversary of the event.  It would be cool if Dr. Who was there too!  (If you don't get it - just move on - cause you Don't know me!)
The rest of the NFL pre-season will start in earnest on August 8th and the 2013 college season  won't be far behind.  (I'm bouncing on my seat and clapping like an id'jit - I'm so excited!)
'Til next time............

No comments:

Post a Comment