Monday, August 15, 2011

Pickin' and Grinnin'.........


......with the J-Man! Yesterday my oldest son called and asked if I would watch my grandson for 2 to 3 hours so that he & his better half could take in a movie matinee. I told him sure - as it had been a couple of weeks or more since I last saw him. The J-Man (Jonas) is a little over 2 1/2, is talking well and is cute as a button! Anyway - my son dropped him off around 1:30 and Jonas & I walked next door to visit my mother. (Be aware I live in a rural area and next door is 400-500 yards away.) I had carried some plastic bags with us and on the way back we stopped at my pear tree - which is loaded. So much fruit is on it that the limbs brush the ground. J-Man had a ball picking pears from the tree. I put a few pears in each of the 4 bags and then just kind of set back and watched him We spent well over an hour filling those bags and I had a smile on my face the whole time. I could have finished by myself a lot sooner but I would have missed the show.
Every pear he picked went like this - Grabbed the pear, "grunt, grunt", twist it left - twist it right, pull again and the pear comes off - followed by an elated "I got it! I got it, PawPaw! I picked the pear!" And if I didn't remind him to be gentle - it was followed by a slam-drunk of the pear into the bag. I'm pretty sure I had as much fun watching him as he did picking. When we did get back to my house I peeled and sliced a pear up for him. He ate the whole thing - all the while telling me about how he picked that pear. Such a great kid!
I'm happy! Football is finally here. Watched some NFL pre-season ball this past week and today marks "game-week" practice for Starkville High. It's not an easy game to start either. Starkville is in 5A this year (dropping from 6A) and opens on the road with the #1 ranked 4A team - Noxubee County. Noxubee County is also the defending 4A state champion. I expect a very tough - but close game - irregardless of who wins.
Everyone have a great Day!!

1 comment:

  1. slam~dunk! touchdown! wahoo! goal~dance!

    grins, love ya baby, debra

    ReplyDelete